Me, the original
25 years in the past.
The car was silent except for my labored breath. I couldn’t take my eyes off
the huge wolf as it tried to catch the car; if Dad hadn’t floored it, he would
have been on us. The size and speed were incredible; he closed the fifty yards
in seconds. Closer he got, the bigger he seemed to get; this sucker was out for
blood, mine.
Dad: “Holly shit! That thing is huge.” His eyes were glued to the rearview
mirror. How he stayed on the road, I have no idea. The boy squirmed in my arms.
Me: “OH, I’m so sorry, son.” I release my death grip on him, and he scooted
forward against the dash. “I’m so sorry guys. I’d be dead right now if it
wasn’t for you guys. Thank you so much, sorry for scaring the crap out of you.”
Dad: “That was no normal wolf; I’ve seen wolves in the wild, and that thing had
to be in the 500# area; there are no wolves in New Mexico even close to that!”
Me: “I ran into him in the trees and made a run for it.” “Can you drop me off
in town? Again, I can’t thank you enough.”
We drove in near silence down Hwy 599, turning south on 84 towards town.
Me: “You can drop me off at that car lot on the left, please.”
Dad: “You're one lucky guy; are you sure we can’t take you home or someplace?”
Me: “No, I’m good; it’s gonna take me a week to calm down. I’ll be good right
here, thank you so much.”
We parted company with a quick handshake; the boy wouldn’t take his eyes off me
even after they drove off. I don’t think he’s going to forget that scare for
years.
I couldn’t keep from laughing when I looked up at the sign for the car lot,
“Lucky seven.” Now that put a smile on my face. Sales man was on me in ten
seconds; “You look like a man who needs a good car!”
Me: “You’ve got me pegged alright. What do you have that’s in really good
condition? I’m going to be putting some miles on it.”
An hour later, I’m pulling out of the lot with a 1997 Chevy Cavalier. Surprised
the guy when I pulled out cash. Time to make sure I’m no longer leaving a
trail.
Me #2: (Back to the future)
I woke in the cheesy Hotel to the sound of the third train going past in the
night, six forty-five A.M. I felt like shit; finally finding the light switch
on the cheap bedside lamp, I pulled papers out of the drawer and found I was in
Colorado, Pagosa Springs to be exact.
Hotel breakfast with watery scrambled eggs and sausage that had to have been
frozen for decades left my stomach wishing I’d skipped the whole thing.
Back in the room, I scanned the internet for questionable
Official forms, etc., and came up with one possibility. I called the number
provided, and we talked for a few minutes, getting to know a little about each
other and some background information. Then I just asked him point blank if he
could make me some new I.D. to start a new life. Without saying anything in
vague word salad language, he said we should get together and talk about how I
could get some I.D. that would be legal. Close enough; word salad: he could do
it for a price. I told him I’d see him in a few days; I’m off for Aurora,
Colorado.
I think it’s Friday, driving nearly straight North to Aurora, Colorado. I
haven’t heard from my younger self back in 2023. I wonder if he has been captured or killed.
I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m alive here in 2048, fall 2048, bumping
into early October. The leaves are falling, and the mornings are getting colder
and colder. The weather report on the radio says snow is forecasted for next
week, maybe. The scare I got with the “Not a deer” isn’t going away. The
thought of “them” being able to create or manipulate an animal to watch or
attack me remotely is terrifying.
My phone explodes on the dash in light and sound; it must be turned to full
volume. I jumped so bad I crossed the white line on the side of the road and
hit tree limbs with the mirror. Hitting the brakes hard, I stop along the
highway; “Hello?” No number I know or have seen before.
Me, in the past: “Holly shit, I’ve tried and tried to get you. I thought they’d
got you; we’re as good as DEAD!”
Me #2: “Whoa, slow down, I thought you were dead, I’ve had zero way to contact
you, just waiting for the phone to ring and when it hasn’t, there wasn’t
anything to think other than you were gone.”
Me: “No, no, she came for it and then turned into a wolf right before my eyes.
I just managed to jump into a car, or I would be dead.”
Me #2: “Oh no, it’s worse than I thought; they are manipulating time and space.
When I picked up the money, I ran into a deer that wasn’t a deer; it had crazy
eyes. They are still having trouble keeping the system stable, or I would have
met your wolf for sure.”
Me: “I’ve picked up a car and some supplies. I talked a pawn shop into selling
me a shotgun and a box of shells. For some reason, I just couldn’t get through
on the phone. I’m not sure what carrier this phone is using, but it doesn’t
have service everywhere.”
Me #2: “I’m headed to Aurora, Colorado, to see a guy I think will make a new
I.D. for me. I’ll see where he was in 2023; hopefully he was doing I.D. back
then. Where are you?”
Me: “I just pulled into Guymon, Oklahoma, and found cell service.”
Me #2: “Good area, there are tons of small towns North of you. Can you slowly
move around, keeping to small towns for a few days while I go see if this guy
is for real? Just keep an eye out for anything strange that’s out of place.”
Me #2 heading North for Aurora, Colorado.
I ran up Hwy 160 and jumped on the 285 North heading for Aurora. Sure enough,
it started snowing, light to begin with and then thicker and thicker. I finally
had to give up in Poucha Springs and ride it out for a couple of days. I got a
first-floor room, so I’d have at least some semblance of a chance to make a run
for it if a killer deer showed up at the door. Not funny, but if you don’t
laugh, your brain will explode; these are not funny times.
The front Office assured me they had plowed and cleared the road up to the
Morrison area, and then it would be in town driving to Aurora. I took off after
breakfast, making good time. I got a Motel just across the street from Lava
Island and could see the kids playing on the equipment. I made an appointment
for the next day with Mr. I’ll help you get some legal I.D
I pulled into the little strip Mall, on the far end, I found the Suite I was
looking for, kind of run-down and dingy. The door stood wide open since it was
close to 60 degrees with clear skies. He closed the door and looked me over really
carefully. “Two thousand dollars and I’ll make you three pieces of perfect
I.D.; Social Security card, Colorado Driver’s License and Military discharge
I.D. I’ll take a couple pictures, and they will be done this afternoon.”
Me #2: “Done.” I handed over the 2k. “How long have you been doing I. D’s?” He
smiles and says, “For a long time, it’s been my career.” “Where were you in
2023? In this area?” I ask. “Colorado Springs in 2023, I moved up here in about
2030 or so. Did real good business down there, lots of people needing a new
life in those days with the big breakups.” His eyes are fogging up with the good-time
memories. “That’s great. What was the business name you used back then, down in
Colorado Springs?” He even gave me the old address; we were in business for a new
I. D’s.
I headed back to the Motel and called the younger me.
Me #2: “Okay, we are in business; he’s charging $2000 for three pieces of I.D
at today's prices, so it should be a little less in your time frame. He’s easy
to get along with, and I just went right to the point. Here write down the
information so our I. D’s match in case I need you to set up accounts or
anything for my use.
“Have you seen anything strange or redundant that caught your eye?”
Me: “No, not much movement in these little towns; I’d think I would notice
anything that wasn’t normal or expected. I’m moving again tomorrow; I’ll wait
to head to Colorado Springs until after you’ve got the I.D. and it looks good.
Then I’ll go see him.”
Me #2: “Okay, take care and keep your eyes peeled; they must
have people everywhere.”
Me: “Well, there was one thing that caught my eye earlier today: a car pulled
into the Motel parking lot up to the Office area. The license plate was off; it
was an Oregon plate, but Oregon doesn’t have plates like that. I thought that
was a little strange, but I dismissed it and forgot about it.”
Me #2: “Get out of there fast, make sure you aren’t being followed, go go now!”
From the Ramblings
t
No comments:
Post a Comment