Monday, April 3, 2023

Hello It's me. Transmute, Episode #3





Hello it’s me. Transmute

Episode #3

Wednesday.

Me #2.



I arrived at the Trail head at 6am, cloudy with a slight chilly breeze signaling the coming fall into winter season. I pulled my windbreaker a little tighter and headed up the main trail. Walking past the signage explaining what you’ll encounter depending on which trail you take I had to wonder how my younger self faired 25 years in the past burying the money and then watching for our stalkers. I’m hoping (I) survived and in a day or so I’ll get the phone call or not telling me which way it went. Our histories are different now so if they got me in the past I won’t know and will just continue on with my timeline unchanged.

The two-mile hike was uneventful and I only saw one other person and he was hell bent on a fast hike even with the heavy pack meant for overnight camping. The three peak rock formation came into view on the left side of the trail and I for the second time turned off the trail and headed just to the West of the line. A week ago I made this hike early in the day looking for a good place my younger self could dig in a cache of money for me to find 25 years and a few days later. The thought made me smile, how crazy is it you can talk/text yourself 25 years in the past and have your earlier self-make a drop for you in the future; crazy stuff and just plain hard to comprehend. The real question I was hoping to have answered in a day or so is, how much have they managed to twist my number sequence that opened the door to the past? So far, I know they’ve weaponized it, they’ve sent beings back or contracted someone in the past to attempt to kill my past person; how can they not realize we are now two different people with second-by-second changing histories……. what I’m I missing?

Day dreaming, stuck in my thoughts not watching where I was going, I almost walked directly up to a deer just to my left not twenty feet away. I jumped stumbling over a small sage bush nearly falling. The deer didn’t move, just stared at me. I’m not a hunter and hiking isn’t really a thing for me, but I know deer don’t let you walk up to them and just stand there. We stood looking at one another for seconds when I realize the eyes were wrong, I’ve watched enough animal planet over the years to know deer eyes are brown not light colored with what looked like backlit highlights. I took off like demons where on my tail and they were. I put some distance between me and the “not a” deer as fast as I could until my lungs were bursting, it was either slow down or have a heart attack right there. I stopped by a small juniper tree looking in every direction at once. Nothing that I could see, hearing anything was drowned out by my heavy wet lungs sucking for air. Looking East I was lining up with the peaks and should be very near the outlying rock which was the last marker to where the money was suppose to be buried. I dug the GPS out of my bag and got it turned on while I shuffled West of the Volkswagen sized rock marking just a few feet to the stash. My head on a swivel I slow walked West away from the rock keeping in a direct line with the three peaks in the distance. The GPS read the correct numbers, I have to be standing on the money stash, pulling out a little garden spade I started digging. Hitting something hard I dropped the spade and dug like a dog on a beach using both hands and slinging sand and small rocks feet backwards between my legs. Grabbing the plastic case, I ran for the car.

As I screamed out of the parking lot tires smoking the deer was standing at the exact spot I came out of the woods into the lot. In some act of wasted defiance I gave the damn thing the bird as I flew past and down the access road, I didn’t stop for six hours winding and turning down highways heading one way and then another trying to be as random as could be, I have no idea what State I’m even in now. It’s 2am I’m done, pulling into a small Hotel, I get a room, throw the plastic money case on the table and I’m asleep in seconds. My last thought before I went out was, we’ve got a real problem here.

Me, the original:

The car was silent with the exception of my labored breath. I couldn’t take my eyes off the huge wolf as it tried to catch the car; if dad hadn’t floored it he would have been on us. The size and speed were incredible, he closed the fifty yards in seconds. Closer he got the bigger he seemed to get; this sucker was out for blood; mine.

Dad: “Holly shit! That thing is huge” His eyes were glued to the rearview mirror. How he stayed on the road I have no idea. The boy squirmed in my arms.

Me: “OH I’m so sorry son.” I release my death grip on him, he scooted forward against the dash. “I’m so sorry guys, I’d be dead right now if it wasn’t for you guys, thank you so much, sorry for scaring the crap out of you.”

Dad: “That was no normal wolf; I’ve seen wolves in the wild and that things had to be in the 500# area, there are no wolves in New Mexico even close to that!”

Me: “I ran into him in the trees and made a run for it.” “Can you drop me off in town? Again, I can’t thank you enough.”

We drove in near silence down Hwy 599 turning South on 84 towards town.

Me: “You can drop me off at that car lot on the left, please.”

Dad: “Your one lucky guy; are you sure we can’t take you home or someplace?”

Me: “No I’m good, it’s gonna take me a week to calm down, I’ll be good right here, thank you so much.”

We parted company with a quick hand shake; the boy wouldn’t take his eyes off me even after they drove off. I don’t think he’s going to forget that scare for years.

I couldn’t keep from laughing when I looked up at the sign for the car lot, “Lucky seven” now that put a smile on my face. Sales man was on me in ten seconds; “You look like a man that needs a good car!”

Me: “You’ve got me pegged alright, what do you have that’s in real good condition, I’m going to be putting some miles on it.”

Hour later I’m pulling out of the lot with a 1997 Chevy Cavalier. Surprised the guy when I pulled out cash. Time to make sure I’m no longer leaving a trail.

Me #2: (Back to the future)

I woke in the cheesy Hotel to the sound of the third train going past in the night, six forty-five A.M. I felt like shit; finally finding the light switch on the cheap bedside lamp I pulled papers out of the drawer and found I’m in Colorado, Pagosa Springs to be exact.

Hotel breakfast with watery scrabbled eggs and sausage that had to have been frozen for decades left my stomach wishing I’d skipped the whole thing. Back in the room I scanned for questionable Official forms etc. and came up with one possibility. I called the number provided and we talked for a few minutes getting to know a little about each other and some background information. Then I just asked him point blank if he could make me some new I.D. to start a new life. Without saying anything in vague word salad language he said we should get together and talk about how I could get some I.D. that would be legal. Close enough; word salad: he could do it for a price. I told him I’d see him in a few days; I’m off for Aurora Colorado.

I think it’s Friday, driving nearly straight North to Aurora Colorado, I’m trying to get use to the idea that my younger self back in 2023 has been captured or killed, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m alive here in 2048, fall 2048 bumping into early October, the leaves are falling and the mornings are getting colder and colder, weather report on the radio say snow is forecasted for next week, maybe. The scare I got with the “Not a deer” isn’t going away. The thought of “them” being able to create or manipulate an animal to watch or attack me remotely is terrifying.

My phone explodes on the dash in light and sound, it must be turned to full volume, I jumped so bad I crossed the white line on the side of the road and hit tree limbs with the mirror. Hitting the brakes hard I stop along the highway; “Hello?” No number I know or seen before.

Me: “Holly shit, I’ve tried and tried to get you. I thought they’d got you; we’re as good as DEAD!”

Me #2: “Whoa, slow down, I thought you were dead, I’ve had zero way to contact you, just waiting for the phone to ring and when it hasn’t there wasn’t anything to think other than you were gone.” “Leaving the phone wasn’t the best idea I guess.”

Me: “No, no she came for it and then turned into a wolf right before my eyes. I just managed to jump into a car or I would be dead.”

Me #2: “Oh no it’s worse than I thought, they are manipulating time and space. When I picked up the money I ran into a deer that wasn’t a deer, it had crazy eyes. They are still having trouble keeping the system stable or I would have met your wolf for sure.”

Me: “I’ve picked up a car and some supplies, I talked a pawn shop into selling me a shotgun and a box of shells. For some reason I just couldn’t get through on the phone, I’m not sure what carrier this phone is using but it doesn’t have service everywhere.”

Me #2: “I’m headed to Aurora, Colorado to see a guy I think will make new I.D. for me, I’ll see where he was in 2023, hopefully he was doing I.D. back then. Where are you?”

Me: “I just pulled into Guymon, Oklahoma and found cell service.”

Me #2: “Good area, there are tons of small towns North of you. Can you slowly move around keeping to small towns for a few days while I go see if this guy is for real. Just keep an eye out for anything strange that’s out of place.”

Me #2 heading North for Aurora, Colorado.

I ran up Hwy 160 and jumped on the 285 North heading for Aurora. Sure enough it started snowing, light to begin with and then thicker and thicker. I finally had to give up in Poucha Springs and ride it out for a couple days. I got a first-floor room so I’d have at least so semblance of a chance to make a run for it if a killer deer showed up at the door. Not funny, but if you don’t laugh your brain will explode, these are not funny times.

The front Office assured me they had plowed and cleared the road up to the Morrison area and then it would be in town driving to Aurora. I took off after breakfast making good time. I got a Motel just across the street from Lava Island and could see the kids playing on the equipment. I made an appointment for the next day with Mr. I’ll help you get some legal I.D

I pulled into the little strip Mall, on the far end I found the Suite I was looking for, kind of run down and dingy. The door stood wide open since it was close to 60 with clear skies. He closed the door and looked me over real carefully. “Two thousand dollars and I’ll make you three pieces of perfect I.D.; Social Security card, Colorado Driver’s License and Military discharged I.D. I’ll take a couple pictures and they will be done this afternoon.”

Me #2: “Done.” I handed over the 2k. “How long have you been doing I. D’s?” He smiles and says “A long time, it’s been my career.” “Where were you in 2023? In this area?” I ask. “Colorado Springs in 2023, I moved up here in about 2030 or so. Did real good business down there, lots of people needing a new life in those days with the big break ups.” His eyes are fogging up with the good time memories. “That’s great, what was the business name you used back then, down in Colorado Springs.?” He even gave me the old address; we were in business for new I. D’s.

I headed back to the Motel and called the younger me.

Me #2: “Okay we are in business, he’s charging $2000 for three pieces of I.D at todays prices, so it should be a little less in your time frame. He’s easy to get along with and I just went right to the point. Here write down the information so our I. D’s match in case I need you to sent up accounts or anything for my use.

“Have you seen anything strange or redundant that caught your eye?”

Me: “No, not much movement in these little towns, I’d think I would notice anything that wasn’t normal or expected. I’m moving again tomorrow; I’ll wait to head to Colorado Springs until after you’ve got the I.D. and it looks good. Then I’ll go see him.”

Me #2: “Okay take care and keep your eyes peeled, they must have people everywhere.”

Me: “Well there was one thing that caught my eye earlier today, a car pulled into the Motel parking lot up to the Office area. The license plate was off, it was a Oregon plate but Oregon doesn’t have plates like that. I thought that was a little strange but I dismissed it and forgot about it.”

Me #2: “Get out of there fast, make sure you aren’t being followed, go go now!”

From the Ramblings

t

No comments:

Post a Comment